I found this photo on facebook and thought how perfectly it shows the importance of teaching young children critical thinking skills. Critical thinking skills are learned through play. Play is a child’s work!
Here are 5 tips to help children build a foundation for critical thinking:
- Provide opportunities for play.
- Pause and wait.
- Don’t intervene immediately.
- Ask open-ended questions.
- Help children think about how to figure it out.
As a parent/teacher it is not easy to sit back and allow your child to figure it out while asking him/her questions, but it is essential unless you want them to grow up to be like the first meme.
– Norma W. Honeycutt, Executive Director